After 30 minutes of Googling around and playing around with my machine I put together the following set of instructions and sent it to her in an e-mail:
- Go to System >> Administration >> Language Support
- Select Icelandic and check the box in the right hand column
- Select default language as 'English (United States of America)'
- Select 'OK'
- Once that is done, go to System >> Preferences >> Keyboard
- Select the 'Layouts' tab
- Click '+ Add'
- Select 'Icelandic' from the left hand column and click 'OK'
I was fully expecting having to walk her through it on the phone. Even if we went through each step on the phone I anticipated we may have run into all sorts of complications.
This evening, I received an email from her saying that with a little help from Dad that they figured it out and she can now write e-mail to her family.
Who says Linux isn't ready for the desktop of the non-super geek?